Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Are faith and reason opposed?

I feel led to continue my little kick on the importance of reason to a Christian. One of the most common things that I hear when I talk about this is that faith is by definition contrary to reason. I have to say that I disagree with this quite strongly. There is a quotation from JP Moreland's Love Your God With All Your Mind that I find helpful here.

"Faith is now understood as a blind act of the will, a decision to believe something that is either independent of reason or that is a simple choice to believe while ignoring the paltry lack of evidence for what is believed. By contrast to this modern understanding, biblically, faith is a power or skill to act in accordance with the nature of the kingdom of God, a trust in what we have reason to believe is true. Understood this way, we see that faith is built on reason."

I talk about this in the paper that I link to at the bottom of the page, but I see the clearest evidence of this in the Bible in Romans 4:20-22.

"20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

Abraham was not believing something irrationally. He had seen God work in his life and he was confident in him continuing to do so because of his record of faithfulness, and his knowledge of who God is. This wasn't a belief held to in spite of a lack of evidence.

I firmly believe that my reason strengthens my faith. I do not have rational evidence for everything, but I also cannot rationalize an atheistic worlview, both because of apolegetic arguments that I feel are more than sufficient, and more importantly, it isn't possible for me to have a rational understanding of my own testimony with a secular worldview. There are things that have happened to me that cannot make sense without God.

I wrote a paper on this topic last semester for my philosophy class. You can find it here.
At the end of the paper I refer to a story that someone (I don't remember who) told me from the India trip. I may have gotten details wrong, but I thought it was a helpful illustration. If someone who actually knows what I am talking about reads this I would love to get details correct.

-Paul

No comments: