Last Wednesday I went from campus to Borders to study some. Why I went all the way to west
At this point our conversation turned in large part to an intellectual debate. It was not divorced from the gospel, but I was trying to answer some of the logical roadblocks that he felt were in the way of him accepting Christianity. (At one point when we were talking about the gospel, he remarked that you don't read much about the substitutionary atonement in the gospels, but that it is primarily a Pauline theology.) So, he knew the gospel, however he rejected it on intellectual grounds. Therefore, the only way (at least that I knew of) to continue to effectively witness to him was to discuss these problems with him, which amounts to an intellectual debate. Now he is a philosophy professor here at UT, so an intellectual debate with him is not exactly easy, and there were times I felt like a three-year-old with how I was presenting my arguments. We continued on for two or more hours talking with this man, and left on a good note. He gave us his name, and yesterday I emailed him two articles, one by Edwards and one by Piper that were very relevant considering the context of our discussion. He responded by blasting Piper pretty hard-core, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to respond to him.
Now that I have spent a really long time introducing my topic with an experience, what I wonder is: am I being an effective witness by approaching this man in this manner? In VFC and Cornerstone we are encouraged to witness, but are usually dissuaded from engaging in debates as we witness. I think this is good counsel in the sense that you don't want to have a debate take the focus off of the gospel, and that the gospel is the only message that can save, and that the Spirit has to work in someone's heart for them to be saved, but does this mean that we should refuse to answer problems that people we witness to have with the gospel that keep them from believing? I know the Spirit has to move, but if we don't see the Spirit move, are we to ignore their questions and abandon our witness?
In Acts, Paul is said to reason in the synagogue. Acts 18:4 says "And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks." He reasoned with them, and he persuaded them. I wish that Luke had included a bit more information on what this reasoning actually contained. I would think that if Paul is reasoning with him, he is answering their questions. In the next verse it says that he "testified to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ" but he was reasoning as well. I just can't see why we should avoid reasoning if it is not distracting our message. I think that many times college students have programmed responses to try to get discussions off track (such as the pygmies in Africa, can God create a rock so big he can't lift it...) and when confronted with these that seem to be intended solely to turn your discussion from the gospel, I can see why debating should be avoided. However, you can't talk to a philosophy professor about God without reasoning. If you don't reason with him, you don't talk to him.
So I didn't have a great conclusion in my post. Sometimes reasoning is appropriate, as it was for Paul in the synagogue, and I believe me with the philosophy professor in Borders, but it may not be with a college kid who just wants you to fight something out with him to keep you from talking about sin. But anyways, I'll stop rambling now.
2 comments:
I think that's a rough comparison to Paul. Paul was not reasoning philosophy with the Jews in the synagogue, he was reasoning that there reilgion supports Jesus as the Messiah. He was taking what they believe and explaining how it should lead them to believe what he believed. It sounds like your experience with the professor was more of two opposite opinions about a topic, whereas Paul's situation was two opinions that SHOULD have been the same. Not to downplay your experience by any means; witnessing in any way, "whether in pretense or in truth, the gospel is preached, and in this I will rejoice." I doubt you were in pretense, but even if you conclude it was inappropriate to go the reasoning route, the gospel was preached, and in that you should rejoice.
It says he reasoned with both Jews and Greeks. I know that he was in the synagogue, but (I could be wrong here) I thought that that would imply that some of those he reasoned with (Greeks) were not Jews. In chpater 17, Paul is actually contact by philosophers in verse 18. He did respond to this by preaching rather than reasoning with them, but he was also immediately introduced into a public setting. The comment of the philosophers in 17:32 in saying "we will hear you again on this matter," seems to suggest that these philosophers wanted to discuss and reason these things out with Paul. It isn't clear whether they actually did hear him again, because Luke gives us no more information on his stay in Athens, but it seems that he stuck around for a little while longer, because he did have time to gain followers. Given the way he went to the synagogue, I think it is unlikely that Paul would have stayed in Athens and not talked with these guys again. But, that is my speculation.
Post a Comment