Mike spoke last night at VFC about redeeming our time. He said that the average American spends 6 hours on leisure every day. 6 hours! Do we really need that much leisure time? i mean, of those 6, 4 of them were spent wtching TV. I definately know that I don't need to watch four hours of TV in a day.
But, as I was trying to think back on how I actually spend my time, I realized that I'm not doing tthat much better than average. I may not spend 4 hours in front of the TV every day, but I bet I find ways to waste 6 hours in a day. Except the occaisions that I get really busy (like Monday-Wednesday of this week and virtually the entire month of October,) I have a good solid amount of time to do what I please, and I am taking 16 hours of engineering and am working 10 hrs a week. What do you do before class if your class starts at 11? If you don't go to bed until 1 what are you doing from 10-1? (In my experience, unless you are cramming in homework, very little productive things happen after 10 for you night owls.)
So, here is my challenge. We don't need leisure. Leisure accomplishes nothing. If you have been saved by Christ you have the priviliege of being able to glorify him by how you live your life. Typically (not always) God is not glorified through leisure, through sitting on our butts and watching TV, or sitting down and surfing through facebook for the 100th time. Revolt against your lazy leisure-seeking self and glorify God through a proper use of your time.
Also, realize that I am preaching primarily to myself here, and I hope some of you guys get something out of this as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment