Saturday, December 30, 2006

Family celebrations

I am pitiful.

Here I am hiding at the computer, trying to hide from a three year old to get a little bit of rest before the rest of my mom's side of the family comes over. We are going to have 28 people at our house in an hour and a half. Yes, that's right, 28. That's a lot of people for a big meal and then a present opening extravaganza. We had 11 people spend the night in our house last night, (including the three that are usually there.) So, this week has been interesting.

Have any of you noticed that it is much harder to spend time in the word and commune with God when you are at home and of of the routine that you can establish with your life? Because I really have had a hard time getting into the word this week. For one, I am never the first one up, like I usually am at the house. Going downstairs this morning at 7:30 made me the 10th one up, beating my sister by several hours. The whole thought of getting off quietly before the day starts doesn't work, because the day starts before I do. And when you have 7 guest staying with you, and more out of town family filing in and out on a regular basis all day every day, it just gets hard to get alone time. I guess I am whining about this, and making excuses for my own laziness, but lets just say that I will be glad to get back to Knoxville tomorrow morning when I can slip back into my routine of hitting Panera alone for 45mins - 1 hour every moring. Phew.

It's been good to see family again, some of whom I haven't seen in years, but I miss Knoxville, and the peace I typically enjoy. Got to go, more family will be arriving soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do read your blog but somehow missed this report.
If only I could have gone upstairs and hidden from the guests!
It is funny that you noticed being the 10th one up at 7:30 in the morning, and yes, there were folks moving in and out at all hours of the several days of "guests."
I too was looking forward to returning to the customary pace of the Steele house, however, would have liked you to have stayed longer.
Dad