Monday, November 06, 2006

One thing about the men's conference

I was taught a lot of things at the conference. A lot of those things had an impact on me. However, there was one little thought that came across when Brent was speaking on courtship. He was giving his perspective on what he would be looking for in a guy who wanted to date his daughter, (who is already married, but he can still talk about it hypothetically.)

I set myself up in the following scenario. I'm going to pretend that I am now around 50, and am the father of the girl I want to court. There is some young stupid guy (who is me) that wants to court my daughter. Would I let him, knowing everything about maturity and sinful tendcies if that young man were me?

That thought gave me shivers. The standard for dating a girl with a godly father who will call you out about sin patterns in your life, and a girl who might not have this same type of protection should be the same. If Brent Detwiler wouldn't let me court his daughter, I shouldn't use the fact that a girl's father is not Brent Detwiler in order to start a relationship. That left me with a little work to do...

... phew...

No comments: