Saturday, April 22, 2006

A man who seeks God with his whole heart.

I was reading Psalm 119 this morning, and I began to meditate on what it would look like to be this guy in verse 2. "Blessed are those that keep his testimonies, that seek him with the whole heart."

As an exercise, I thought it would be helpful for me to write down what it would look like to truly seek God with all your heart. So, this is what I put in my journal, I thought it might be helpful to share.

He wants God. He wants to be with God. He is constantly longing for communion with God. This is more than a purposeful mind setting aside time for communion; the man who seeks God with all his heart LONGS for the time that he gets to spend with God. He doesn't have to focus his thoughts and affections on God, the thoughts and affections he has for God are vibrant and expressive, but just as much, they are also ever present. Just as a man gazing upon his bride has no problem producing right affections when he sees her approaching down the aisle on his wedding day, so the man who is seeking God with all his heart will not have to work up affections. They will already be there, and they will be ever-present. He will be able to pray Psalm 42:1 with all honesty.

He will keeps all the commands of God. For who against against that in which the whole of his affections are laid? He will wake up in the morning and thank God for all of the grace that he has poured out upon him, especially through his sacrifice of His son on the cross. He will go to bed at night with the same thanks streaming forth from his lips. Throughout his day he will not be able to keep the affections of his heart to himself. He will tell about them, he will sing because of them. God's praise will constantly be upon his lips, for what else can he talk about, when his entire being is fixated on only one object?

How would he suffer an occasion to sin? How could he? The man who seeks God with his whole heart would rather have both his arms torn off than offend that which all his affections are set upon. There is no analogy to describe how foreign it would be for this man to be swayed by the offer of pleasure present in sin. It would be more likely for a mother to pleasure in inflicting pain upon her own children than for this man to pleasure in sin. This thought is simply unheard of.

Rather, he would infinetly disdain all forms and all manners of sin. He would use all force and all means that he had at his disposal to destroy any sinful inclination present against his beloved God. His delight is in God, and his law, while sin and the offense against God are the single focus of his hate.


All I know is that this man is not me. I want it to be, but I am so far from this, and I realize that I will never get there while I am alive. Why do I not seek God with all my heart in light of what he has done for me? How in the world can I forget, or minimize the importance of the cross in my life? How can I sit down and watch a stupid TV show in the morning instead of getting up, leaving my apartment and studying his word? What is wrong with me? Who will rescue me from this body of death?

2 comments:

Jill Brickey said...

Great post Paul!

Anonymous said...

Meagan said it all for me. I don't think I could add anything else. This was a great post! I was definitely convicted and yet excited too because I long to be like that. I'm eager to discuss this with you Meg, should be interesting! Thanks for posting on this and sharing your thoughts...it was helpful.