












Since February, when Grandma Lulie, Grandpa Marty, and Aunt Leigh came to visit, Hannah has been pretend camping in her room and more consistently, having s'mores in her large closet. When I sat down to plan her party, it seemed like the perfect theme! With the help of Pinterest, there were more than enough ideas to pull this thing off and have some fun with it. One thing I did not expect was for the weather to be more autumn-like than spring-like. It was more than cold enough for us to need a REAL fire, yet I don't think the association around here would have been okay with that.
Hannah's cousins, a friend from the library, and a few friends from church got to come and join in the festivities. We kept it pretty simple. The only activities we had were having Paul lead a pretend backpacking trip, eating, and doing a little scavenger hunt at the end. The campfire, chairs, and tent were set up for the kids to be able to play with throughout the party. We all had a lot of fun, and Hannah was so excited to have a real backpack for all the festivities. She even wore it when she and I went to grab a pizza for dinner. "Mommy, can I wear it into the store?" "Of course, Hannah!"
Of course, the cake lady had a make a cool cake, right? I experimented with this black bean cake recipe I have used before, and used my mocha icing (shhh, don't tell the parents!). I just can't make chocolate icing without the coffee as the liquid. Unfortunately, I don't have a cool photo of the inside of the cake, but to go with the theme of s'mores, I put mini marshmallows in the first layer of icing, and tried to put graham crackers in the second layer of icing (which didn't work!). Then, I covered the cake with ground up chocolate graham crackers, to look like dirt. I made the tent out of some fabric I had Hannah pick out and now she is asking me to make tents for all of her Winnie the Pooh toys.... ahem. Be careful what you do for your kids, right? haha. I wish I had a better picture of the cake when the candles were lit. It was supposed to look like a real campfire, with the pretzel sticks being the logs and the candles pushed down in the cake, then lit. I made the cake on Thursday, because the black bean cake is better after it sits overnight. But this also means that I have had a little girl asking me if she can eat her cake for two days. When we woke her up on her birthday she asked, "Can I eat my cake now?" You can tell by the photo that she was more than excited to FINALLY be able to eat her cake :) Love her.
No comments:
Post a Comment