Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blue Like Jazz part 2

Ok, so this will be a bit shorter, I just needed to qote this for all you Sovereign Grace folk. He is talking about romance.

"Elsewhere in this quandary is my friend Josh. When I first moved to Oregon I was befriended by this vibrant kid who read a lot of the Bible. Josh was good-looking and obsessed with dating, philosophies of dating, social rituals, and that sort of thing. He was homeschooled and trained to believe traditional dating was a bad idea. I travelled with him around the country and introduced him at seminars he would conduct on the pitfalls of dating. He wrote a book about it, and it hit the bestseller's list. No kidding. A couple of years later he moved to Baltimore and got married. I called him after the wedding and asked him how he got to know his wife without dating. He said they courted, which I took to mean he had become Amish. But he explaining courting is a lot like dating without the head games. He and his wife are also very happy."

The only thing I want to point out is that Josh Harris did date, and it was conviction stemming from his own relationships (well, and the Bible) that truly caused him to take his position, and not the training that he got from being homeschooled, (although that might have been there.)

But, anyways, I think I am going to become Amish.

4 comments:

paul steele said...

I know, I like to churn butter

Cap Stewart said...

The Amish live in a veritable paradise--Mr. Yankovic said as much in his Amish song.

Anonymous said...

You'd have to give up Big Red and get a horse and buggy. I don't think so!!

Anonymous said...

Give up Big Red?! Who in their right mind would do a thing like that?!