Thursday, June 22, 2006

Would you want Jesus to serve with you in ministry?

I know I would. Apparantly Southern Baptists would not. At their convention this year, the the SBC passed a resolution prohibiting alcohol use. Steve McCoy goes through this issue at length as to why he is opposed to this extra-biblical resolution that the SBC has now imposed on its pastors. They passed a five part resolution which can be found here. Three of the five resolutions are good. But the first two are, well, extra-biblical.

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in Greensboro, North Carolina, June 13-14, 2006, express our total opposition to the manufacturing, advertising, distributing, and consuming of alcoholic beverages; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we urge that no one be elected to serve as a trustee or member of any entity or committee of the Southern Baptist Convention that is a user of alcoholic beverages


So, as a result, the SBC is in "total opposition" to some of the actions of Jesus, (turning water into wine is actually manufacturing an alcoholic beverage, just through an unusual process) and would urge that Jesus not serve with them on their committees.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you make a "pious" rule that excludes Jesus, it's probably not a good one to have. We should follow Christ's example, not that of the Pharisees. It seems that the SBC has gotten a bit confused on this point of late.

Phew.

I'm glad I'm not a Southern Baptist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the message included in your blog report. I used the Southern Baptist's new doctrine as a foundation of Sunday School lesson this past Sunday.
1. As you mentioned, should we follow the rules and practices of the Pharisees or Jesus?
2. Should a religion's governance dictate these kind of conditions on the body of the church?
The discussion was engaged and it lead to other topics.