I was reading Psalm 40 today and this verse struck me.
"I delight to do your will, O my God, and your law is within my heart." -Psalm 40:8
I have recently starting reading The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal, and one of the things that he continually mentions is that the essence of true religion is not to act lawfully because you were commanded, but rather because you love the Law's perfection. In that context I really connected with this verse. God putting his law upon our hearts not only gives us his law outside of the written ordinance, and compells us to obey in the inner man, but it also turns our affections towards his law. I have no idea how I could have missed the connection between his law within our hearts meaning that his law would control our affetions, but I was just smacked in the face by this just 15 minutes ago.
His law is now our delight, because we have been saved. This is glorious! He has given us the opportunity to delight in his will, though we are sinners. However, if you, reading this post, do not find that you delight in the law of the Lord, examine yourself. You may not be a Christian.
Anyways, I have class in 14 minutes and I got to run.
1 comment:
This works just like my favorite verse in the Bible does (Ps 37:4)..."Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." What I've found is that the more you delight yourself in the Lord, the more your heart's desires are in line with the Lord's.... and the more God meets your heart's desires. That's so cool and how I live. It makes for a life full of joy!!
Post a Comment